Sunday, February 7, 2016

Week 5 Reading Reflection

For this week's chapter, it was on the Assessment of Entrepreneurial Opportunities. There were many surprising facts and stories I did not know about in this chapter than the other previous chapters I have been assigned to read.

1. The most surprising thing I read in this chapter was the most recent study on ventures that have been successful. The problems most of them faced was that at the start-up level was the order to systematically sort their ideals into a schematic. This surprises me because when it comes to running a business, I thought businesses would encounter more than just 10 listable problems (found on page 266).

2. The most confusing part of this chapter was the Table 9.4 on page 269. I have not taken any micro or macro class here at UF and when it came to reading words like net sales, rate of annual growth, logarithmic net sales, etc. this sounds like gibberish to me. This was very difficult for me to understand and relate to.

3.  One question I would ask the author is if he actually encountered any of the problems mentioned on page 266. This intrigues me because I want to know how he went about to overcome the problem.
Another question I would ask him is which approach he likes best: feasibility criteria approach or the comprehensive feasibility approach? I would like to know his opinion on his favorite approach and why.

4. A statement that the author states that bothers me is "a new venture should be unique". I do not fully agree with his statement. When I think of the word unique, I think complicated and something that has not been thought of. He later defines it and says "the product should show special characteristics". Some of the most unique products ever invented have the been the most simplest creations and do not have any special characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment