1. What stood out to me the in this chapter was how important ethical values are to a company, to the entrepreneur, and his employees. I worked at a restaurant where the owner was not very kind and considerate of his employees, especially since we were college students involved in other organizations and had classes to go to. I wish I could show him the importance of an "owner's value system [is] a critical component of ethical considerations that surround a business"(. A lot of the employees did not respect the establishment as much as they would be working at another restaurant with higher expectations. This just goes to show that an owner's attitude towards his establishment affects his employees actions.
2. The two terms in this chapter that confused me the most were role distortion and role assertion. It took me a minute or two for me to distinguish the two while reading that paragraph because they both have the same bad intentions, but are displayed in a different manner. Both have the same concept, but they are executed differently.
3. One question I would ask the author is how he came up (or if he found) the image of the conceptual framework. It is very interesting how they assorted the terms into the shape of the compass and incorporated quadrants like a geometric circle. The second question I would ask the author is what he thinks is the most difficult ethical thing for a boss/owner/entrepreneur to decide between? I find this question to vary on the person's beliefs and I want to get more of feeling of what type of boss/entrepreneur the author is.
4. The author talks about external optimism and defines it as, "allows other to believe in them during rough periods. He then states about how entrepreneurs "when taking to its extreme, this optimistic attitude can lead to fantasy approach to the business. This right here is something I can not agree with. A person's optimism can never be detrimental. I feel that someone being positive about their business and believing in their ideas and actions, will not hurt them permanently, but will help them in the long run. They are not fantasies, but simply visions.
No comments:
Post a Comment