Sunday, January 31, 2016

Customer Interviews No. 1

An idea or opportunity I would interview people about is this idea I had in one of my Innovation classes last summer. My idea was this water bottle that had a removable bottom that could easily fit a phone, credit cards, ID's, and most importantly, car and apartment keys. The bottle would be on the heavier side, but it would mostly be targeted to people who go to the gym frequently. My audience was very easy to target, especially since I already go to a popular university where working out is super encouraged.

Before I start my interview questions, I interviewed people who were in my Yoga class. The individuals I interviewed did not want to be recorded and I respected that.

Person 1: Kayla Hernandez

1. Do you think you drink enough water in the day? Why or why not? Yes, for sure. Because I have a camelback and I fill it up 6 times a day.

2. How often do you go to the gym? Three days a week.

3. What do you bring to the gym? Water bottle, phone, jacket, keys, wallet, and ear phones.

4. Have you ever lost anything at the gym? No I have not.

Person 2: Stefano Barba

1. Do you think you drink enough water in the day? Why or why not? No I don't, unless 2 cups of water is considered enough.

2. How often do you go to the gym? I don't go to the gym, but I play soccer. 3-4 times a week.

3. What do you bring to the gym? To soccer, my phone.

4. Have you ever lost anything at the gym? One time I lost my phone.

Person 3: Yaima Costa

1. Do you think you drink enough water in the day? Why or why not? No, because I do not have a water bottle. Usually I am on campus and carrying a water bottle is annoying.

2. How often do you go to the gym? Three times a week.

3. What do you bring to the gym? Phone, ear phones, and keys.

4. Have you ever lost anything at the gym? Yes, my phone.

Person 4: Claudia Porrua

1. Do you think you drink enough water in the day? Why or why not? No, because I always lose my water bottles and they are pretty cheap to buy anyways.

2. How often do you go to the gym? Three times a week.

3. What do you bring to the gym? Phone, ear phones, keys, and my wallet.

4. Have you ever lost anything at the gym? Yes, my phone, all the time.

Person 5: Shawn Alicea

1. Do you think you drink enough water in the day? Why or why not? Yes, I usually have my small water bottle with me.

2. How often do you go to the gym? Four times a week.

3. What do you bring to the gym? Phone, ear phones, keys, and usually my debit card.

4. Have you ever lost anything at the gym? Yes, my phone and sometimes my keys.

From asking these individuals, I realize that I should have asked them if they would use a water bottle that weighed a lot, but kept all there personal items safe. Next time, I should find a more diverse group of people. Maybe not all college students because adults go to the gym as well.

From interviewing people, I learned that sometimes you get turned down and next time I should get people to willingly let me record them for proof. For me, it was not awkward or anything to interview/talk to people.

5 comments:

  1. I think the idea you have for a water bottle with a carrier in the bottom is very interesting. I’m surprised that something like this has not already been invented. It seems like the most commonly lost thing is people’s cell phones.

    I didn’t do this specific blog post, but if you like you can check out the rest of my blog here: http://ent3003blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine,
    I really liked your idea. It is definitely something different but something that many people could benefit from this multi-purpose water bottle. Your customer interviews were great and really supported this new idea. You may want to check out my customer interviews, as well as the service I chose at:
    http://shannoncea.blogspot.com/2016/01/customer-interview-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat!
    Your idea is a very good solution to an extremely common problem. I share your concern for the size and weight of the bottle, but perhaps if it was marketed as an accessory you only take to the gym and back if wouldn't be an issue. I also think your idea would motivate people to hydrate more. If people carried it around as an everyday holder for keys, credit cards etc. they would be more conscious as to how much water they drink. Awesome idea! Here's my blog if you want to check it out ;D http://opportunistictimes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathe!
    You are very creative when it comes to identifying needs and opportunities that can be taken great advantage of. Your water bottle/ keychain/ ID storage sounds like a great idea and a great start for an entrepreneurial adventure! If you want any more ideas about unmet needs or opportunities you may be able to exploit, I suggest checking out my super dope blog.
    http://agarciaent3003.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Katherine this is such an innovative idea! I think the first step towards identifying a need is asking people for their opinion and you took that step. If you need support on Kickstarter I'll throw $5 your way!

    ReplyDelete