Monday, January 11, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

I have had quite the interesting experiences with some entrepreneurs I have encountered here at the University of Florida. I never knew so many students at such a young age would have such wild and big dreams. One entrepreneur that has always stuck in my brain was the inventor of Cocovana, Sheldon Barrett.

I met Sheldon at an Entrepreneur Club meeting Spring semester of 2015. The President of the club, David Nassau, was a guy with a lot of connections and he had invited me to check out the event. The event involved a "pitch" competition and his stood out to me.. and won first place. His product was a coconut opener designed to safely core out the middle of the coconut to dispense coconut water for people traveling or just simply having one. The tool also works well for other fruits. He recently just earned a patent for his idea and his website is under construction but here is the website: http://www.cocovana.com/ .

His pitch was well prepared, very captivating, and engaging. But most of all, it was understanding and he showed his "coconut" twist in action. His pitch definitely sold me.

Sheldon Barret at a Pitch Competition. 
As a back story on why I am enrolled in ENT3003 is because I am minoring in Innovation. A part of wanting this minor, I must take classes that involve creativity and entrepreneurship! So far, I have loved all my classes, especially working in teams and being able to be hands on to create a final product to showcase. I hope out of this class, I gain more insight of why entrepreneurs do what they do and how they do it. Most people could not live the lives of entrepreneurs and we must give them credit where it is due.

3 comments:

  1. I know of a very similar story with some of my friends and their creation of a new app called Qwerk. Great idea and 2 very capable individuals. There truly are many, very driven students and faculty at our school and i hope to be among them one day. The idea the man in your story came up with is very innovative and proves to me that whatever your passion, whether it be coconuts or finance, you should follow it and try to make that what you do for the rest of your life. That is certainly my goal as i hope to continue my Dad's entrepreneurial spirit in my own lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katherine,
    I must say this is such a great story. I appreciate how much enthusiasm and passion you share for Sheldon and his entrepreneurial quest for Cocovana. I noticed that you’re minoring in Innovation. What draws you to this particular minor, if I may ask? It seems like such an interesting choice. The way you describe parts of the curriculum seem quite fun and great for networking. I do hope this class will give you the understanding that you are looking for to round out your Innovation minor, and with your overall academic pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://entreprenue-whaaat.blogspot.com/2016/01/my-entrepreneurship-story.html

      Delete