For this exercise, I would like you to revisit that first conversation you had with an entrepreneur. In that initial interview, you asked an entrepreneur three questions. Now, revisit this interview and think about the questions you asked and the answers they provided you. From where you stand now, what is your impression of that initial interview?
I revisited my Very Short Interview No. 1 and found that my questions sounded like a beginner in an entrepreneurship track/class. From that interview, I learned a lot of advice from an entrepreneur that accomplished herself through her ups and downs.
Second, visit the entrepreneur again. Record the interview if possible. The three questions you ask this time are entirely up to you. Let your experiences in this course drive what questions you ask -- and that will be very different for each of you!
I interviewed Peggy Adams, who is a mother of two and was a fashion designer for children's clothing for decades and also, an author. She is well experienced in the field and is very wise. What makes her an entrepreneur is her fashion design for children's clothing was all created and designed by her.
1. How did you handle being a mother and an entrepreneur at the same time?
It was hard at first, like anything usually is. But I knew it was something I wanted to do, so I had to sacrifice going out with friends and a lot of my free time was dedicated to spending time with my kids because that was the only time I was able to. My mother helped out a lot in raising my kids.
It was hard at first, like anything usually is. But I knew it was something I wanted to do, so I had to sacrifice going out with friends and a lot of my free time was dedicated to spending time with my kids because that was the only time I was able to. My mother helped out a lot in raising my kids.
2. Was there ever a time you felt like giving up?
Yes, and that is normal. Especially in the field of entrepreneurship, you will feel alone and down at times. But when you finally make it, it feels right and worth it.
3. Do you think entrepreneurs have to have good connections/networks?
Absolutely yes. You need to know and meet certain people in order to stay afloat in this business. There are some people I could not imagine not meeting because they were a part of my successful business.
Yes, and that is normal. Especially in the field of entrepreneurship, you will feel alone and down at times. But when you finally make it, it feels right and worth it.
3. Do you think entrepreneurs have to have good connections/networks?
Absolutely yes. You need to know and meet certain people in order to stay afloat in this business. There are some people I could not imagine not meeting because they were a part of my successful business.
Third, after the interview, try to gather some sense of how far you have come in this class. In your post, discuss your comfort level in talking about entrepreneurship in this interview now, compared to three months ago. Did the entrepreneur convey a sense that they thought you had progressed in your journey?
I feel very comfortable in talking about the business of entrepreneurship. Compared to three months ago, I definitely have learned a lot about what it takes to be an entrepreneur and the strategic planning, money talk, and persuasion that has to come within a person to be a successful one. I have progressed a lot and I know I can approach anyone in this field with ease, which Peggy brought out of me.
Being able to approach people is something that is very important as an entrepreneur. It is a skill that is very hard to develop. I’m glad your second interview went better than the first. Having time to review is very useful and can really help improve what you have to say and what people say about your product.
ReplyDeleteI didn’t do this post, but here is a link to my blog: http://ent3003blog.blogspot.com/
hey great job on your blog! I like the question about whether she contemplated giving up because I had that exact same question for my interview. I also like how you weren't afraid to ask the personal question about her being a mother because sometimes we forget that entrepreneurs are not super heros but normal people with normal lives haha. I'm glad you did much better and hope you continue to flourish! here's mine! http://lovetravellives.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2.html
ReplyDeleteHey Katherine! I really liked reading through your blog post, and I like the way that you structured it. It was really easy to read! I agree with the way you felt during your reflection. After spending 4 months in this class, I feel much more confident talking to people and interviewing them. You can check out my blog post here: http://sabinaent3003.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2.html
ReplyDelete